As soon as iPhone Dev-Team failed to produce Ultrasn0w unlock for iPhone 4 2.10.04, 3.10.01 baseband, a Chinese hacker team called Gevey started to look into the issue and found a working solution which can actually unlock iPhone 4 on said the basebands. Before i may go into pros and cons of Gevey’s iPhone 4 unlock, i would like to clarify what is Gevey SIM hack and how it works to unlock your iPhone 4?
What is Gevey SIM Hack?
With Gevey SIM hack, you can unlock iPhone 4 01.59.00, 02.10.04 & 03.10.01 baseband. Unlike Ultrasn0w unlock, Gevey SIM hack is not a software based hack as it requires you to buy a SIM interposer which sits electrically between the SIM card and baseband hardware to perform a classical MITM. In order to stay unlocked, you ALWAYS need to keep that SIM interposer in-between your SIM card and iPhone baseband hardware.
Things You Need to Know Before Buying Gevey SIM:
- It works if your network handles 112 calls properly according to the GSM standard. So before buying Gevey SIM, first step is to dial 112 from your phone and check the response.
- If your network validates your IMSI on every incoming call, do not think of buying Gevey SIM.
- Even if your network do not validates your IMSI on every incoming call, you still have to revalidate your IMSI if your iPhone loses power, loses the reception or move to another PLMN. In all of these cases, your TMSI expires and has to be obtained again.
- Not all 3G network will work, for example you will not see T-mobile with 3G service on the iPhone but you will see it working with edge.
- SIM interposer will not harm your iPhone hardware but it can get your account banned from your network provider if they knew that you have spoofed your IMSI and ICCID. Its only in China that GSM companies know this loophole but still don’t bother to close it.
- The only way to permanently unlock your iPhone is through NCK.